Donation Refund Policy
The John Penn Whitescarver Foundation, dba National Stormwater Center, has developed a donation refund policy as part of our commitment to honoring and respecting the financial contributions that people make to the Foundation. We recognize the importance of donations and want to ensure we establish appropriate principles of transparency and fairness in regard to the management of refunds.
This policy outlines the circumstances under which the John Penn Whitescarver Foundation (“the Foundation”). will refund a donation.
This policy applies to all those who make financial donations to the Foundation including employees and volunteers responsible for processing and managing financial donations.
The Foundation expects that anyone wishing to donate consider their decision carefully and check donation amounts during transactions.
The Foundation recognizes that it is possible to make an error when making an online donation or for the donors to change their mind about the donation made. It can also occur that an error can be made by the Foundation, or our financial institution.
Under this policy the Foundation. will endeavor to refund donations in accordance with the following principles:
- If an error is made in making on line donation or if the donor changes their mind, we will honor all requests for refund that are made in writing within 30 days of the date the donation was made. The written refund request should include the details of the initial transaction including date, donation amount, donor’s name, ID, tax invoice number and the nature of the error.
- Requests for refund can be sent by email, mail:
Mail: Fundraising, John Penn Whitescarver Foundation
105-A East Broadway Bel Air MD 21014
- The Foundation will fully examine all requests for refund and endeavor to ensure that genuine errors are rectified, however we are under no obligation to give refunds and the decision on refunds will be at the Foundation’s discretion
- If an amount is adjusted by the Foundation, the original receipt issued for the incorrect amount will become invalid and a new receipt will be issued for the amount of the adjusted donation
- The Foundation reserves the right to pass any refund transaction charged onto the donor
- Refunds will be returned using the original method of payment – if donation has been made by credit card, the refund must be credited to that same credit card
- Should an error be made by the Foundation. or our financial institution(s), a refund of the full amount will be made once we are notified of the error in writing.
Responsibility and Policy Owner
The owner of this policy is the General Manager, John Penn Whitescarver Foundation. The owner is responsible for implementing the policy and achieving the desired outcomes.
All Foundation employees and volunteers responsible for receiving and processing donations shall:
- Respect and value all those who donate to the Foundation
- Ensure donation processes are secure and transparent
- Build trusting relationships with regular donors and partners
- Respond proactively to any issues arising in regard to donation refunds
- Communicate respectfully and professionally with those who request a refund raise any issues or concerns that arise with the Foundation’s management regarding donation refunds.
Consultation and Approval
This policy has been developed in consultation with the Executive Director, John Penn Whitescarver Foundation. Communications, Fundraising & Volunteering and the Quality Risk & Compliance Steering Committee.
The policy has been approved by John Penn Whitescarver Foundation Management Committee.